The ABSA Certification Examination is weighted in approximately the following breakdown:
- General Surgery Procedures - 15%
- Orthopaedic Procedures - 9%
- Gynecological Procedures - 9%
- Varied other Surgical Specialties - 7%
- General Operative Knowledge - 19%
- Anatomy & Medical Terminology - 28%
- CPR- 6%
To successfully pass the examination, the candidate must score a minimum of 70% on the General Knowledge Section and Practical Skills Evaluation.
General Knowledge Examination Section
The general knowledge section of the examination is comprised of 140 multiple-choice type questions, covering all areas of perioperative medicine and all surgical disciplines.
Specialty Examination Section
The specialty section of the examination further evaluates advanced knowledge of surgical practice and assisting, by requiring completion of 10 very detailed multiple-choice type questions, with respect to surgical instrumentation, identification and usage.